Measuring in at about 122 square miles in area, the Republic of Malta is one of the smallest countries in the world. With a population of approximately 450,000, the tiny Mediterranean island is also one of the most densely populated nations on Earth. Despite the diminutive size, it has become a giant in the internet gambling industry and churned out some of the best online casinos.
Amusement games, casino gaming, remote gaming commercial tombola games, commercial communication games, gaming devices, sports betting, the National Lottery, and other lotteries, and non-profit games are all permitted under Maltese law.
- 1Major Milestones and History of Malta Gambling Sites
- 2Legal market: Regulations (of the Bookmakers too), Taxes
- 3Malta Gambling Sites Regulatory Bodies
- 4What Currencies and Payment Methods do Maltese Players Generally Use?
- 5Land-Based Casinos VS Online And Live Casinos
- 6What are the Best Maltese Gambling Sites and Promotions?
- 7Pros and Cons
- 8All You Need to Know About the Maltese Gambling Market
- 9Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Gambling Sites for Malta in 29 November 2022 – Updated List
Major Milestones and History of Malta Gambling Sites
Malta was the first member of the EU to regulate online gaming and its friendly online gambling taxes system, reasonable licensing fees, and inclusion on the UK’s white list has made Malta a popular destination for online European betting sites. It is also one of the most tightly regulated betting jurisdictions on the planet. Very frequent inspections of all segments of both land-based and online operations are thoroughly carried out to ensure compliance and high standards. Maltese gambling licenses are among the most respected in the industry.
With the introduction of the Remote Gaming Act in 2004, Maltese gambling licenses were divided into four separate categories. A Class 1 license covers casino games, skill games, and online lotteries. A Class 2 license covers fixed odds betting, pools, and spread betting. Peer to peer betting and betting exchanges are covered by a Class 3 license and Class 4 licenses are issued to software vendors.
Selling National Lottery tickets necessitates the possession of a valid permit. The potential seller must submit an application to the MGA for this permission. Currently, there are over 240 ‘Maltco Lottery’ places of sale spread across the Maltese islands.
Here are five things to bear in mind about Malta gambling:
- The legal gambling age is eighteen years old.
- The local gaming market is regulated by the Gaming Act of 2018.
- The MGA is the licensing authority for the nation.
- A 5% tax on gross receipts is imposed on all licensees.
- The winnings of players are tax-free.
Legal market: Regulations (of the Bookmakers too), Taxes
Malta Gambling Sites Regulatory Bodies
The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) is the principal regulatory agency in charge of overseeing all gambling operations in Malta, including both land-based and internet gaming. The MGA has broad monitoring and enforcement authority, as well as the ability to grant licenses.
Two other authorities, among others, have a special supervisory function in connection to gambling operators. The following are the:
- Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU): This is a government institution charged with collecting, collating, processing, analyzing, and disseminating information in order to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing. It was formed by the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (Cap 373 of the Laws of Malta). The unit is also in charge of ensuring that the necessary legislative provisions are followed.
- Information and Data Protection Commissioner’s Office (IDPC): This is the federal agency in charge of monitoring and enforcing personal data privacy laws.
What Currencies and Payment Methods do Maltese Players Generally Use?
When it comes to betting at the best legal betting sites and bookmakers, you have a variety of options, ensuring that all players may find something that suits them. You may deposit using a bank card, e-wallet, prepaid card, or bank transfer. In many ways, Malta is the epicenter of gaming. The island is home to a slew of European betting companies. Because of the industry’s size, you may anticipate a diverse selection of payment methods. From Bitcoin to PayPal, you can make deposits and withdrawals with high-quality alternatives.
- For many gamers, using credit and debit cards is the most convenient choice because it is a technique that they are already acquainted with. Many online casinos allow credit cards like Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, as well as debit cards like Maestro and Visa Electron. These ways may be used to make instant deposits into online casino accounts, allowing you to begin playing immediately. Depending on the casino, further security procedures may be required, although they usually consist of just entering some basic personal information. A player’s credit or debit card can be linked to their online casino account so that withdrawals can be made when they’re due.
- Electronic wallets are the latest and most simple option for players to deposit money into their casino accounts. They’re also known as electronic wallets, and they’re utilized to make deposits at a variety of online casinos. Because they have several consumer protection measures, these wallets are safe and secure to use. PaySafeCard, Skrill (Moneybookers), Neteller, and Paypal are some of the most popular e-wallet platforms. The majority of these e-wallets allow gamers from all around the world to participate.
- Cryptocurrency is one of the most secure ways to deposit money into a web-based betting platform account. This is digital money that can be used to fund accounts at a number of respectable online casinos. Bitcoin, Etherium, Dogecoin, and Litecoin are the most popular cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrencies utilize peer-to-peer technology to make online payments without the participation of financial institutions like banks. If gamers are concerned about security, they can put their money in a cryptocurrency-compatible online wallet or withdraw it and retain it in physical form.
- The oldest form of making deposits into an online casino account is by bank transfer, which is making a direct payment from one’s bank account. This technique often takes 3-5 days to finish and is inefficient because gamers will not be able to begin playing immediately after depositing.
Land-Based Casinos VS Online And Live Casinos
At least once in their lives, everyone desires to try their luck at a casino. People are drawn to casinos because of their distinctive environment, which exudes a sense of wealth and flair. Despite the rise in popularity of internet gambling, the allure of traditional casinos hasn’t faded. They have standard regulations; the government has made significant investments in the gaming sector, and Malta’s geopolitical location is enticing to the world’s top names in the industry.
Online gambling in Malta need not be reintroduced as we have already covered its rich history and achievements over the years. Live gaming combines the best of both worlds: internet gaming and live dealer gambling. As a result, it’s ideal for gamers who want to play table games with a live dealer. All of our certified euro bookmakers and betting sites provide live gaming, which is now a requirement for all casinos. All of the Malta licensed bookmakers have outstanding real-time gaming platforms.
Online gambling is spreading like mushrooms in Malta and it is not without reason.
- It becomes exceedingly difficult for suppliers to keep up with and respond soon enough if gaming rules change too frequently. Furthermore, if regulations are not solid enough, it is extremely difficult for providers to devise a cohesive plan that will help them stay afloat in the long run. The Malta Gaming Authority imposes tight regulations on providers while also providing them with a defined framework in which to operate.
- Because the gaming business is continually in the sights of tax authorities, it is frequently subjected to exorbitant taxation. Malta’s major benefit is that the industry is not overly taxed, and efforts are made to provide long-term business potential. Provider expenses are substantially lower than those incurred by similar casinos in other European countries. Of course, the needed license isn’t cheap, but it’s a bargain compared to what gaming companies pay in other jurisdictions.
What are the Best Maltese Gambling Sites and Promotions?
Pros and Cons
- Legal Standards That Are Frequently Updated
- Well-known both inside and outside the EU.
- New Operators' Must-Have
- The focus is on customer protection, which has been approved by the authorities. GDPR is now mandatory.
- Some Markets Are Inaccessible
- No Advertising Regulations
- Safeguarding vulnerable group
All You Need to Know About the Maltese Gambling Market
Frequently Asked Questions
New and existing clients can take advantage of a variety of tempting deals offered by Maltese bookmakers. Customers at Malta-based betting businesses have access to a variety of attractive betting options. This is the place to go if you want to take advantage of bookmakers' free bets, deposit matching, improved odds, and insurance bets.
Aside from the live poker, live betting is arguably one of the most popular casino games in Malta. You can simply obtain the greatest odds and maybe profit from them.
Yes, PayPal betting is possible in a majority of casinos licensed out of Malta.
Yes, a number of Maltese casino operators allow bettors to spice up the election season by offering gambling opportunities in elections.
Malta has established itself as a country with stable and dependable legislation over time. Malta is particularly attractive to online casinos due to its low taxation, which does not eat into their profit margins. The expenses of obtaining the required license are quite modest, and the licensing procedure is not overly complex.
Online casinos, like other private businesses, want to make sure they operate a profitable operation. Because their ultimate objective is to maximize profit, they are prone to go for the cheapest options wherever feasible. Malta appears to have emerged as the greatest location for a corporate headquarters in Europe, if not the entire globe.
We created and used a rigorous approach to evaluate the top real money sports betting sites for 2022 in the region while investigating the gaming environment in Malta. When each of the best online slots site Malta is examined in-depth, it offers a distinct gambling experience. Our comprehensive list of the best casino sites in Malta takes into account a variety of variables, like the variety of games, convenient payment options, promotions and bonus offers, customer support system, and transaction methods that will help you find your bookmakers. The list also comprises of top 5 offshore sportsbooks for US players. Now that we’ve come to the end of our comprehensive betting sites Malta guide, it’s time to give you our unbiased verdict. Regardless of whatever operator you pick, all of them are flexible and provide high-quality betting platforms. Our final and most important piece of advice is to sign up for many sports betting sites that we’ve evaluated. We recommend that you do so since you will have more alternatives and will be able to compare different odds.