Montenegro Gambling Sites and Laws
Montenegro is located in Southeast Europe on the Adriatic Sea. It is a relatively young country having gained independence from Serbia in 2006 and its economy is mainly driven by the service sector.
Approximately 1.5 million tourists visit this scenic country on an annual basis which generates hundreds of millions of Euros in revenue. Another source of revenue is gambling. Montenegro legalized gambling in 2006 and then legalized online gaming in 2011.
The Game of Chance Administration oversees the issuing of licenses and enforcing regulations with both land-based and internet gaming operations.
- 1About gambling in Montenegro
- 2Montenegro’s gambling history
- 3Licenses and regulation for Montenegrin casinos today
- 4Top gambling sites for Montenegrin players and the promos they can offer
- 5Play top games at Montenegrin casino sites
- 6Everything you need to know about betting in Montenegro
- 7Other noteworthy tidbits about Montenegrin gambling
- 8Pros and cons of Montenegro gambling sites
- 9Frequently asked questions about gambling sites in Montenegro
Top 10 Gambling Sites for Montenegro in 23 March 2023 – Updated List
Use Promocode: GAMBLINGJUDGE
About gambling in Montenegro
Montenegro is home to several brick-and-mortar casinos as well as online operations. Obtaining a gambling permit here is easy compared to many other jurisdictions but the process is still fairly thorough.
One problem that has cropped up is that many payment processors and banks have stopped doing business with Montenegrin license holders. This issue needs to be resolved if the Montenegrin online gambling industry is to flourish. There have been proposals to change the current tax laws that could jeopardize the Montenegrin gambling industry. Tax increases could very well drive away players and force operators to exit the market here. It is already estimated that half of all Montenegrin online gamblers use offshore agencies that aren’t licensed or regulated in Montenegro.
Montenegro’s gambling history
Licenses and regulation for Montenegrin casinos today
Top casino sites in Montenegro must adhere to the laws set by the Montenegrin government in 2011 and apply for a gambling license from the Game of Chance Administration. Montenegro gambling licenses are only handed to the best online casinos in Montenegro that adhere to the rules found in the Law on Games of Chance gambling legislation.
The Game of Chance Authority regulates all casinos that are licensed in the country. However, as they cannot regulate offshore (foreign) casinos, these are not typically deemed legal in the country. While some are blocked by Montenegrin ISPs, nobody has been punished for playing at such international gambling sites.
Top gambling sites for Montenegrin players and the promos they can offer
Play top games at Montenegrin casino sites
Let us say that you want to play at online casinos in Montenegro – what can you expect to play? The best Montenegrin casino site should offer you games from over ten, perhaps even over fifteen developers. Moreover, they should span all sorts of options. Online gambling games in Montenegro should include slot machines, video poker gaming machines (online, of course), table poker, and general table games such as Montenegro-friendly online roulette and blackjack, scratch cards, and more modern online casinos will also offer live dealer casino games. Again, this is all assuming that the casinos stay within the country’s gambling laws.
Everything you need to know about betting in Montenegro
Other noteworthy tidbits about Montenegrin gambling
There are a few quirky things that you may wish to note about even the best Montenegrin casino sites. Let us lighten the mood by sharing a few of these with you below:
- Any operator (based in Montenegro) can obtain a gambling license for a casino or sportsbook. However, lottery games are monopolized and run by Lutrija Crne Gore. No other operator can obtain a lottery site license.
- Due to money laundering from organized crime gangs in Montenegro, not every major payment method is accepted at Montenegrin casinos.
- Despite being known as the Game of Chance Administration, the licensing authority and regulatory body also run the rule over games of skill.
- Most Montenegrin casinos can also be played in Serbian, as well as their native tongue.
- Montenegro is home to some of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world, at just 9% at its worst. Moreover, there are exemptions on VAT and income tax on gambling winnings won by players at real money casinos in Montenegro.
Pros and cons of Montenegro gambling sites
No online casino is perfect, so here are the flaws (and perks) with Montenegro-based online gambling:
- Most Montenegro casinos permit the use of the euro
- Many casinos carry top games from established developers
- Casinos are licensed and regulated by national bodies
- Strict anti-money laundering protocols
- Offshore casinos are not permitted, and some are blocked
- Lottery games are still monopolized
Frequently asked questions about gambling sites in Montenegro
If you have questions on Montenegro online casinos, we’re happy to help with this short FAQ guide to gambling in Montenegro.
Yes. Assuming you sign up and play at Game of Chance licensed casinos, then internet betting is fully legal.
Yes. Montenegro casinos offer both free play (demo) and real money online casino games to registered members.
You’ll get to use the same payment method as elsewhere (for the most part), including credit and debit cards, e-wallets, prepaid vouchers, and bank transfers.
Again, provided you choose a Montenegrin licensed casino or one licensed out of a reputable jurisdiction such as the MGA or UKGC, then you’re good to go.
Yes. Moreover, you won’t need to download apps and mobile casino software to do so. Each Montenegrin casino has been developed in HTML5 to facilitate browser-based mobile casino gaming.
Yes. Moreover, you can do so with a variety of languages. Expect games to be playable in Montenegrin, but also Serbian, Croatian, and even Bosnian to a degree. All games can, of course, also be played in English. Language availability depends on the software provider in question.
You must be aged eighteen to gamble at Montenegrin casinos, no matter which country you reside in.
Play at the top, reputable gambling sites in Montenegro today
Now that you know a bit about Montenegro’s gambling sites and laws, perhaps it is time to get started at Montenegro casinos for yourself? If you want to begin online gambling immediately, head over to our reviews page to sort gambling sites by country and find the ideal Montenegrin gambling site today.
Other related articles:
Barbados gambling sites and laws