The Italian sports betting landscape has changed several times over the past few years but it seems to have gained a lot of stability since the legalization of online betting. Italy now has a fully licensed and regulated gambling industry. For punters, betting in Italy has never been as good. The government was previously at odds with the EU over Italy’s gambling legislation which led to sweeping changes.
This resulted in the doors being opened to some of the biggest betting companies and now foreign bookmakers in Italy are acquiring licenses and offering their services to the very lucrative Italian sports betting market. This has sent a ripple through the Italian sports betting market as land-based wagering shops have seen a decline in business.
- 1A Short History of Italian Betting Industry
- 2Italian gambling laws and the future of them
- 3The status of Italian Betting Market
- 4Top Italian Bookmakers in 2021
- 5Betting online at Italian Bookmakers: A simple guide
- 6The favorite sports of Italian bettors
- 7Sports betting bonuses and free bets in Italian Market
- 8Best payment methods for online betting in Italy
- 9Payment options of Italian bookmakers online
- 10Pros & Cons of Bookmakers in Italy
- 11FAQ About Italian Bookmakers
Top 10 Betting Sites for Italy in 01 November 2023 – Updated List
A Short History of Italian Betting Industry
Italian gambling laws and the future of them
The status of Italian Betting Market
Naturally, some Italian bookmakers have flocked to obtain licenses of their own, although many of Italy’s betting sites remain offshore operations. The horse racing sector, while still relatively strong, has also seen a drop in its bottom line. No such drop seems to have occurred with the Italian football betting market, though, which is just as lively as ever. As the market sorts itself out, Italian punters are reaping the benefits.
They have much more choice with access to the international betting sites and this has sparked steady growth in the amount being spent on the internet betting. With our guide to the best betting sites in Italy, you’re can learn about where to play if you wish to engage in Italian football betting, how to take advantage of bonuses when you bet in Italy, and much more besides. But first, a word of warning for the future…
Top Italian Bookmakers in 2023
Betting online at Italian Bookmakers: A simple guide
The favorite sports of italian bettors
Without a doubt, soccer is number one in participation, attendance, and wagering action. Most of the revenue raised at bookmakers in Italy comes from football. Serie A is the most wagered on competition, followed by the Champions League. Italian betting companies also specialise in Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and La Liga odds, so profitable football betting can span many different markets. Italy has the second most successful football team in World Cup history (the first one is Brazil) and it has won several FIFA World Cup championships to date. The Serie A clubs are known worldwide, and some people even think that modern football was invented in Italy, during the Roman Empire period.
Swimming, diving, water polo, and rowing are some of the more popular aquatic sports while wrestling, cycling, and auto racing are widely followed. Other favorites include basketball, volleyball, rugby, and golf. Italian bookmakers ensure that these options are open to players, too. Alternatively, players are still at liberty to pop into betting shops in Italy, if they don’t fancy signing up to online betting sites.
Sports betting bonuses and free bets in Italian Market
Best payment methods for online betting in Italy
Therefore, if you are playing on non-AAMS licensed sites, we recommend using cryptocurrencies for deposits and withdrawals. Bitcoin is the most popular of these currencies and we have a guide about Bitcoin bookmakers and betting sites. But it is not your only option: you can also use next-generation cryptos such as Ethereum and Dogecoin. (Check out the guides we have prepared about Ethereum betting and Dogecoin betting sites.) Whichever cryptocurrency you prefer, you can make money transfers without any problems.
Payment options of Italian bookmakers online
- Prepaid cards: If your priority is speed, security, and zero-fee, prepaid cards like Paysafe are a good choice. But keep in mind that most of them are only available for deposit: For withdrawal, you need to use another method. You can find more information in our guide to prepaid cards bookmakers and betting sites.
- Credit cards: You can use VISA and MasterCard for both deposit and withdrawal. They’re fast, you don’t have to pay anything, and they’re safe enough. Check out our credit card bookmakers guide.
- E-wallets: You can benefit from electronic wallet services such as PayPal bookmakers and betting sites, Neteller, and Skrill bookmakers and betting sites. They have mobile apps, and all transfers are almost instant. You can find more information in our guide to ewallet bookmakers and betting sites.
In order not to experience exchange rate problems, choose Italian bookmakers that support Euros. (You can see them all in our Euro bookmakers and betting sites list.) Also, do not forget that in addition to all these methods, you can also use cryptocurrencies at AAMS licensed Italian betting sites.
Pros & Cons of Bookmakers in Italy
- All forms of gambling are legal
- Gambling winnings are tax-free
- Lots of payment options are available
- Operators without AAMS license are blocked
- Mobile betting options are limited
FAQ About Italian Bookmakers
Yes, but you need to find the right sportsbook. Bookmakers Italian elections option is offered at our recommended Italian bookmakers, so we recommend starting from there.
Yes, online betting (and land-based gambling) has been legal in Italy since 2006. And since 2010, any international operator can get a license to offer its services to Italian bettors.
Euro is the official currency of Italy, so you can make a deposit & withdrawal at an Italian betting site with Euro. However, other currencies are supported too.
Players and bettors do not pay a tax for their gambling winnings. Operators, on the other hand, must pay a 20% - 22% tax based on their net income.
There are lots of Italian bookmakers that are worth your time and money, but they are not “fixed”. The list of the best bookmakers in Italy constantly changes and we recommend checking our up-to-date lists to find the best Italian betting site for you.
We picked the best Italian Bookmakers for you
We don’t want you to waste time looking for the best Italian bookmakers: We already picked them for you according to our detailed criteria. You can check our list of the biggest bookmakers in the world or simply pick an Italian betting site mentioned in this article. No matter which option you prefer, we are sure that you will have fun and make lots of money. Place a bet in the Italian language and pay with Euro: Whether you are interested in post-ante or live betting bonuses, we have the best bookmakers in Italy for you. Good luck!
Other articles you might like: