If you like betting on football, then the UK is the place to bet. There is a surplus of top football betting sites in the UK for you to choose from.
Each offers its own distinct service, and some excel at certain things over others. If you want to know what they are, and where to play, you’ve come to the right place.
On this page, we will take a brief look at the ins and outs of football betting. However, we will also look in-depth at the best betting sites in the UK (including 5 pound betting sites) for having a punt on the beautiful game.
If you’re ready to start wagering with football betting companies in the UK, let’s begin.
- 1Common football bets found at UK online betting sites:
- 2Get the best odds in the business at UK bookies
- 3Are the wheels falling off? Why not cash out early?
- 4Top 3 Live Streaming Football in the UK
- 5Live betting/in-play on football in UK
- 6“And it’s live!” – Watch live football while betting online
- 7Bag a bonus at football betting sites in the UK
- 8How does betting on football work at UK bookmakers?
- 9Choosing the best UK football betting sites – How we do it
- 10Gambling Judge answers your question about UK football betting sites:
- 11Lace-up your boots and get ready to bet online
If you want to take a short-cut to the best football betting sites in the UK, then any of our top ten best betting sites for UK players come highly recommended. All the UK betting sites in our list are safe, secure and offer top football betting options. Let’s look closer at them.
Best Football Betting Sites in the UK in 19 September 2023 – Updated List
Common football bets found at UK online betting sites:
Once you have perused our array of UK football bookmakers and decided which website works for you, it is time to bet. A host of different football odds are online. These betting odds vary, depending on what you select. In the UK, most are decimal odds. If you are a beginner and want to know how to win big on football bets, just stick with the simpler bets for a start.
Here are the most common bet types from the biggest bookmakers UK has to offer:
- Full-time result: A wager on the outcome of a match, displayed as 1X2 (or home win, draw, away win)
- Halftime Fulltime bet: A wager on both the outcome of the match at half-time and full-time (from a combination of 9 possible outcomes)
- Full-time score: Alternatively, you can bet on the full-time score. This must be correct to see your winnings paid out
- Goals over/under: Over and under bets are popular in football. With these bets, you are wagering that a team will win (or lose) by a certain number of goals. You can be over or under by a specific amount, according to each bet. Alternative goal line bets are a variation of over/under bets.
- Both teams to score (BTTS): A simple bet which stipulates that both teams will score in a match. This would be the simplest answer to the question “What is BTTS?”. There are two main types: BTTS yes and BTTS no. Other types of BTTS bets would include: BTTS and win, BTTS both halves, BTTS over/under or combined with other types of bets.
- Combinations: Combination bets can involve any of those listed above with one stake, such as the full-time result and BTTS, or the correct score plus a draw. You must win both bets to land a payout, but the winnings are richer the more bets you add to a combination
- Bet draws: another simple bet on whether the game will result in a draw
- Futures: Future involve something happening throughout the season. These bets can include the next manager sacked, for example
- Outrights: Simple stakes on who will win a tournament, such as the league or a cup
- Accumulators: Like combination bets, these are several wagers on one ticket. However, accumulators are always on the correct score or result. The winnings of one stake become the wager on the others, so you could end up with epic wins. However, just one defeat could see you lose the lot
- System bets:A system bet is more advantageous compared to accumulator bets and still allows you to get high payouts. It has multiple combination bets on the same betting slip. A system bet can include between 3 and 8 combinations. Some examples of system bets would include: System bet 2/3, System bet 3/5, Trixie bet, Patent bet, Yankee bet, Goliath bet or even the Round Robin bet, just to name a few.
- Asian handicap: This type of spread betting is not particularly popular with UK audiences. This bet handicaps teams according to their form, so the stronger team must win by scoring more goals. There is also alternative Asian handicap betting (available at Asian handicap bookmakers), which supposes betting on half-line and quarter-lines (like Asian handicap 0.25 and Asian handicap 0.75).
A few other “odd” bets which you may wish to check out include:
- Double chance: A wager which sees you cover two of three possible outcomes, such as a home team win and a draw
- Double delight: A bet on the first scorer in the game. If he then goes on to score the second goal, too, the bookie will pay out at double the odds
- Hat-trick heaven: As with a Double Delight bet, this bet is initially a wager on the first player to score. If he goes on to score a hat-trick, you’ll get double or triple the odds, depending on the betting site
It could also be possible for you to request a bet from the bookie. This is usually something found on exchanges, not standard online sportsbooks. However, requesting bets is quite common in UK land-based betting outlets.
Get the best odds in the business at UK bookies
Some of the best UK bookmakers for football are those which offer great odds and bets. In some cases, these will represent the new football betting UK companies, as they tend to go the extra mile to get ahead of the competition. However, in other cases, it is reliable, experienced bookies which do this.
Are the wheels falling off? Why not cash out early?
One of the most innovative things to hit the UK sports betting world is the early cashout option. Your team is 1-0 up and its entering injury time. The opposition has been knocking at the door. You know they’re going to score. They do, but worse still, they score two and win the game. If only you could have cashed out at 89 minutes. With some of the best bookies for football in the UK, you can, with no restrictions.
Leading online bookies such as GentingBet, Novibet, and William Hill carry such a feature. You will find many top more bookmakers offering similar services here at GamblingJudge. Early cashout bets are part of the perks of live betting. The trick here is knowing when to cash out, and to do that; you need to keep tabs on the game. This is where live in-play betting and live streaming options come in. You must not confuse the cash ot feature with the early payout promotion, where you get to cash in the full payment, once the condition in the offer is met.
Best Live Streaming Football in the UK
BET £10 GET £30William Hill Welcome Bonus: BET £10 GET £30
BET £10 GET £30888Sport
Live betting/in-play on football in UK
The very best betting sites for football in the UK will offer live, in-play betting. These bets are staked long after a match has kicked off. These feature live odds in real-time. The odds will adjust according to the action which is taking place in the game. So, betting on a team in a match which is 85 minutes on and sees them 4-0 up isn’t going to pay very much. However, betting on a team which is 2-0 down after just 24 minutes means you’ll get great odds. Now all you need to do is hope the losing side can turn the fixture around.
Some of our recommended top online football betting UK sites offering this service are: 888 Sport and William Hill.
“And it’s live!” – Watch live football while betting online
What’s better than looking at detailed stats screens when betting with live, in-play bets? How about watching the game unfold itself? Many of the best UK football betting sites provide live streaming of matches.
At these sites, you can watch the game as you would at home. In most cases, players need to be funded or wager on the game to be able to watch it live. However, some of the major UK bookies even provide this service with you having to find your account.
Here are a few top football betting websites in the UK that offer quality live streaming football.
Football betting sites in UK
If you want to find more top sites which provide live football services, take a quick look at GamblingJudge’s top UK bookmakers. From there, just select the “live streaming” option on the left-hand menu to find a plethora of leading UK bookies offering this service.
Bag a bonus at football betting sites in the UK
To help you get started, many experienced and new football betting sites provide their players with bonus deals. These are often known as welcome bonuses, and the way they work is quite simple.
A player makes a minimum deposit at a sportsbook, and they will receive a sum of bonus money based on their qualifying deposit, for instance, £100 in bet credits. Those can then be used to wager on matches. Some sites go one further and have terms which state that in the event of a loss, you’ll even get your money back.
Here are a few of the flashier ones out there:
888 Sports Welcome BonusSnap up £30 in free bets when you make your first bet of £10 or more
MyStake Welcome BonusRegister today with MyStake and receive a 100% bonus up to a maximum of €500 on your first deposit (minimum €20)!
William Hill Welcome BonusJoin William Hill and bet £10 to get £30 in free bets.
Betway Welcome BonusGet your first deposit matched up to £30 when you join Betway and make a minimum deposit of £10.
Of course, these aren’t the only bonuses you can find at sportsbooks. Many top sites also offer other betting offers in UK on selected events. These can include money-back deals on draws, loyalty rewards, insurance if certain events happen, and much more besides. You can find all the latest reload offers UK at any UK bookie by checking their promotions page.
- Watch football live: If you want to watch live football, you need to make sure that your chosen bookie offers live streaming of major football matches.
- Your chosen league: Does your chosen bookie offer the league you want? If you like the Premier League, make sure that it is supported and that plenty of different types of bets are hosted.
- A plethora of markets: Sometimes, international markets and events offer great odds. The best bookies are typically those which offer a plethora of major international football competitions, as well as those played in the UK.
- Try the exchange: If you fancy trying something new, then making sure that your bookie offers exchange betting like Betfair is worth considering.
- Easy to navigate and friendly user experiences: You want to be able to bet fast, and in a risk-free manner. Stats centers need to be clear and concise, and you should always be able to access customer support and see terms and conditions transparently. Offering an easy to navigate site for top user experiences is essential.
- ACCA: ACCA insurance stands for accumulator insurance. Some accumulators will see you lose your total bet if just one match is incorrect. Taking ACCA insurance bets allows you to get part or all your money back should accumulators backfire. Your bookie must offer this if you want to place accumulator bets.
How does betting on football work at UK bookmakers?
You now have a decent idea of what the best online football betting sites in the UK are, and the types of bets and odds available. However, we want to show you how a typical stake works when wagering online. This is how to bet on UK football.
In our example, Arsenal are set to face Chelsea in the FA Cup. Our UK bookie has Arsenal at 3.20 to win, a draw at 4.40 and Chelsea at 1.20. This means that Chelsea are the favorites, Arsenal is the underdog, and a draw is the least likely result.
If no substantial changes to the odds occur, this is what happens:
If you bet £1 on Chelsea to win, you’ll take home £1.20 in winnings (plus your original stake). If you bet £1 on Arsenal to win, you’ll land £3.20 in winnings, plus your stake. If you bet on a draw with a quid staked, you’ll win £4.40 and your stake.
But football is not predictable, and a game of two halves. In reality, this happens:
Two days before kick-off, you have decided that you’ll take a risk, and bet £10 on Arsenal winning. Your potential return is now £44.00 if Arsenal win. On the day of the game, Chelsea’s star striker is injured, and the bookie lowers the odds of an Arsenal victory to 2.20. Arsenal do go on to win the match.
The end result of your bet is…
If you placed your bet two days before the match, the initial bet is valid at the original stakes when you wagered it. You would net £44 (4.40 x £10). However, if you waited until right before-kick (after the bookie had learned of Chelsea’s injury), you’d only get £22 (the adjusted odds of 2.20 x £10). The timing of when you place a bet is essential. The more variables there are in a match, (the more difficult it is to predict) the better your return.
Of course, this is just an example. There are many other types of footy bets you can make at UK bookies, so it is up to you to experiment a bit.
Choosing the best UK football betting sites – How we do it
Here at Gambling Judge, we take many things into consideration when deciding which sites we recommend and which we don’t. We only recommend the best online football betting sites in the UK. To become one of those, UK bookies must fulfil stringent criteria.
To make it onto our top UK football betting sites, a bookie must:
– Be licensed, regulated and audited, as well as promote responsible gambling
– Carry a variety of football markets, but also provide other sports bets
– Feature live streaming, in-play betting, accumulators or some other form of additional bets
– Offer mobile-friendly football betting options
– Be trusted, secure and fair, and this includes offering fair terms and conditions on bonuses
– Provide speedy withdrawal times, and a variety of UK-friendly payment methods
– Maintain a clean record of service, with no black marks or unjust complaints
– Be open to accepting players in the UK, and they must be able to offer their services there legally
We won’t recommend any bookmaker which fails in these criteria at our website.
Gambling Judge answers your question about UK football betting sites:
Before you head off to bet on football in the UK, we’re on hand to answer any questions about football betting websites you may have.
UK football odds are usually displayed in the popular decimal format. Some may use fractional odds (as found in UK horse racing), but in most top bookies, the odds are adjustable and can be displayed in both formats, and sometimes even as American odds.
Yes. Betting on football is perfectly legal in the UK. Provided a sportsbook is licensed and regulated, it can offer its services to UK football betting fans.
Not normally, no. However, there are one or two welcome offers out there at UK football betting sites which do offer this service.
Outrights are normally the way to go. Most UK punters bet on the result (win, lose or draw), and long-term outrights or futures, such as who will win a league. However, the pools and accumulators are popular with UK punters, too.
Yes. The best football betting sites in the UK will all be mobile-friendly. Many of the top ones will also offer a dedicated mobile app for football betting. This app will typically be iOS and Android friendly.
Yes. Provided that they are licensed (ideally out of the United Kingdom, Malta or Gibraltar), UK betting sites are amongst the safest you will find online.
If you mean safest in terms of standing the best chance of success, then the Premier League. It is likely that you will know more about this league than others. Knowledge is vital in football betting, so go with what you know.
Pre-match betting involves placing your bets long before kick-off. This will typically give you the best odds, as all the variables which might affect a match, such as a form, weather, injuries and the like, aren’t yet established. Once they are, the odds will drop as a favorite emerges.
Outright betting works in the same way it does anywhere else. In short, if you think Liverpool will win the Premier League, you can place a bet long before the end of the season to get the best odds. Outrights can also involve the winner of individual matches.
Lace-up your boots and get ready to bet online
By now, you will likely know virtually everything you need to wager at UK betting sites. Now all you need to do is find the latest football betting sites we recommend, decide which one fits the bill and join.
After making a deposit (and possibly claiming a bonus), you’ll be ready to wager on the Premier League, English football league, non-league football, domestic and continental cup competitions and leagues, and even international football to your heart’s content.
Also, if you also want to learn how to bet online from abroad as a UK player, check here our guide.
Other articles you might like:
- Betting Exchange UK – The Ultimate Guide  | Best Betting Exchange Sites in the UK
- Horse Racing Betting Sites UK – Best UK Horse Betting Sites  – Updated List
- No Deposit Betting UK – Discover the Top UK No Deposit Offers  – Complete Guide
- Esports betting UK: The Definitive Guide and the Best Sites for 
- Cricket Betting in the UK – The Ultimate Guide | Best Cricket Betting Sites in UK 
- Betting & Gambling Tax in the UK – What do you have to pay, and when?
- Best CSGO betting sites UK and our Top 10 Gambling sites UK for 
- UK Horse Racing Betting – The Ultimate Guide | How to bet on horse racing betting in UK
- New Horse Racing Betting Sites in the UK – Best New UK Horse Racing Betting Sites  – Updated List
- Free Bets with No Deposit UK – How and Where to Find Them  Complete Guide
- Bitcoin betting UK: The ultimate guide to bitcoin gambling in UK 
- New Betting Companies in UK – The Best New UK Betting Companies in 2023