If you are looking for sports bets that do not involve the draw result and therefore allow you to get higher odds, Asian handicap betting might be exactly what you want.
This type of betting, which emerged in Asian countries and gained global popularity, assigns virtual advantages and disadvantages to sports teams and in order to win the bet, the outcome of the match must be within these predefined values.
For beginners, the Asian handicap meaning may sound a bit complicated, but that’s why we prepared this guide.
Below, we will first answer the question of what is Asian handicap, give examples, and make sure you read a complete Asian handicap explained guide. If you are ready, let’s start to explain Asian handicap!
- 1What is an Asian handicap bet?
- 2Why is it called Asian handicap system?
- 3How does Asian handicap work?
- 4What is Asian handicap in football?
- 5Asian handicap for dummies: More examples
- 6Asian handicap table: Winning & losing conditions
- 7The difference between Asian handicap and European handicap
- 8What does alternative asian handicap mean?
- 9Tips & tricks for Asian handicap betting
- 10Pros and cons of Asian handicap betting
- 11Frequently Asked Questions about Asian handicap betting:
Best Bookmakers with Asian Handicap Markets in 16 May 2022 – Updated List
What is an Asian handicap bet?
Why is it called Asian handicap system?
How does Asian handicap work?
We explained the Asian handicap meaning above, now let’s explain how it works using Asian handicap odds. For example, when you visit the Betfair Asian handicap category, you will see numbers like this:
- Team A +1.50
- Team B -2.00
- Team C +0 & +0.5
If the number is positive, it means that the team is an underdog, meaning it is not expected to win the match. If the number is negative, that team is the favorite, it is more likely to win the match. To win bets on favorite teams, the result of the match must be higher than the determined points. To win bets on underdog teams, the result of the match must be lower than the determined points. Here is a simple Asian handicap example:
- Team A +1.50
This means the team starts the match with +1.50 goals. In this example, if Team A loses the match by 2 points (or more), you lose your bet. You win the bet on all other outcomes.
- Team B -2.00
This means the team starts the match with -2 goals. To win this bet, Team B must win the match by a minimum of 3 points. If it wins the match but with a difference of only 1 point, you lose the bet. If the difference is exactly 2 points, your bet is refunded – this is one of the special features of Asian handicap betting.
These examples belong to the full line and half-line categories. However, as we mentioned above, there are also quarter line bets and they look like this:
- Team A -0 & -0.5
This means if you place a bet of 20 EUR on Team A, you would actually have placed two different bets worth 10 EUR: Team A -0 and Team A -0.5. In this bet:
- If Team A wins by 1 point (or more), both bets win.
- If the match ends in a draw, your -0.5 bet loses, your -0 bet is refunded.
- If Team A loses, you lose both bets.
What is Asian handicap in football?
Asian handicap for dummies: More examples
If the above examples aren’t enough for you to understand how to bet with Asian handicap, we can give more examples. Below you can see some of the most common Asian handicap betting examples (such as Asian handicap 0.25) and understand what is required to win these bets.
Asian Handicap 0.25 example
Asian Handicap 0.5 – Asian Handicap -0.5 examples
Asian Handicap 1 – Asian Handicap -1 examples
Asian handicap table: Winning & losing conditions
In order to find out what happens in all other handicap values, you can take a look at the Asian handicap chart list below:
YOU WIN THE BET, IF:
YOU LOSE THE BET, IF:
The difference between Asian handicap and European handicap
There are two important differences between European handicap and Asian handicap betting:
- You cannot place a bet for the “draw” outcome in Asian handicap.
- In Asian handicap betting, you can get a refund (or win back half of your initial bet) in some cases if the result is a draw.
Other than these two differences, both betting options use the same principles explained above.
What does alternative asian handicap mean?
Some bookmakers also use it as the name for exotic betting options that use the same rules, such as Asian corners (Asian total corners, Asian handicap corners and 1st half Asian corners) and 1st half Asian handicap betting. We have a different guide for alternative Asian handicap bets and we recommend checking it out. We have also prepared a relegation betting guide for football enthusiasts.
Tips & tricks for Asian handicap betting
- Try Asian handicap arbitrage. By taking advantage of the odds differences between different bookmakers, you can guarantee a payout no matter what the score is.
- You can get better odds in Asian handicap in play As a general rule, in-play (live) betting always offers higher odds.
- Asian handicap in accumulator bets can pay more. As long as all of your choices win, accumulator bets will pay much more than regular bets. You can increase your chances of winning accumulator bets by applying the strategies in our how to win football accumulators guide.
- Underdog betting can be surprisingly profitable. Underdogs always get the higher odds and sometimes they win too. If you do your research and find out that the underdog team really has a chance of winning, don’t hesitate to place a bet.
Pros and cons of Asian handicap betting
- You can get higher odds
- You can still win the bet even if your team loses the match
- Some outcomes simply refund your money (less chance of losing)
- It may seem too complex for beginners
- Not as practical as straight bets
Frequently Asked Questions about Asian handicap betting:
While Asian handicap football is the most common and popular option, Asian handicap bets can be placed for any sport that uses the goal/point system to determine the score.
Asian handicap betting is quite popular and the majority of bookmakers offer this option. However, to find odds worth your time, you should play at our recommended bookmakers.
Full line bets are simpler so if you just started Asian handicap bets, stick with them for a while. Half/quarter line bets pay more and you can win back/get a half refund for your initial bet in some cases.
Asian handicap bets do not guarantee any profits. There is no difference between making a profit from regular betting and Asian handicap betting – it all depends on how lucky you are.
You learned how Asian handicap works: Try it today
You now know what’s Asian handicap so it is time to try it: Pick one of the bookmakers we recommend, pick a match, and place your Asian handicap bet today.
This Asian handicap explained guide contains all the information you need and we will keep updating it: Don’t forget to visit us often to learn more about Asian handicap betting. Good luck out there!