The Golden Age for Esports betting UK fans is now, as all the important bookmakers have a section dedicated to videogames betting.
It took them a while to tap into the immense potential of esports betting, but they’ve finally adapted.
As an enthusiastic esports punter, you can bet on first-person shooters, multiplayer online battle arena, real-time and also turn-based strategy games.
Now that you have where to bet on esports, it is time to learn how to master the art of videogames betting, so you emerge victorious.
- 1Top 10 of the most popular esports in the UK in 
- 2A quick glance at the esports betting in UK
- 3Is esports betting legal in UK?
- 4Which are the most popular esports in the UK in 2021?
- 5Take a chance with special esports betting markets
- 6What about the out the esports of the future?
- 7Who bets on esports mostly?
- 8How many people have bet on esports?
- 9Make a deposit and storm the UK esports betting sites!
- 10Let’s beat the odds when betting on esports!
- 11Seize the opportunity of welcome bonuses at UK esports
- 12Is it safe to play at esports betting sites in the UK?
- 13Your first steps in esports betting:
- 14Our esports betting FAQ guide:
- 15Mobile Apps: Your gateway to esports betting
- 16The science behind esports betting odds. How are they calculated?
- 17Are esports betting UK winnings subject to taxation?
- 18How to find the best UK esports betting sites?
- 19Conclusion: The future of esports betting UK looks great!
Top 10 of the most popular esports in the UK in 
A quick glance at the esports betting in UK
Is esports betting legal in UK?
The last thing you need when betting online on classic sports or videogames is to worry about the legality of your actions. Luckily for UK residents, this won’t be a problem since the UK GC is always watching. Esports betting sites UK must apply for a license issued by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission before they can accept local players. Of course the biggest bookmakers UK has are already licensed by this commission. The regulatory commission is in charge of the entire licensing process and it also oversees the legality of the land-based and online gambling industry in Britain.
Those who apply for a license must undergo a strict process and meet specific criteria imposed by the British regulator. They are aimed at creating a secure gaming environment for UK esports betting fans, with respect for the rules, responsible gambling and total transparency. With these things in mind, don’t take unnecessary chances and play at a UK GC licensed casino. By doing so, the only thing you’ll have to worry about is beating the house edge. This is what the rest of this Esports betting UK guide is all about.
Which are the most popular esports in the UK in 2021?
The esports betting UK market is dominated by two main gaming genres: multiplayer online battle arena games and first-person shooters. These are the video games that offer the biggest payouts, demand perfect team play and require a lot of skill, without being as demanding as real-time strategy games.
UK betting sites pay them the attention they deserve and provide ample coverage to MOBAs such as League of Legends and Dota 2 or first-person shooters like Call of Duty and Counter-Strike Global Offensive.
Take a chance with special esports betting markets
Esports betting in the UK is so popular not only because of the sheer number of games covered, but also the special markets available. You don’t have to stick to the main markets if you feel comfortable about betting on special ones. Fans of the most important video games are provided by bookmakers with the option of betting on the key events that occur during the game. These differ greatly from one genre to the other, but if you actually played the games, you will have a slight edge over regular punters.
Esports betting Sites
What about the out the esports of the future?
The online betting UK industry is constantly changing and the popular games of the day have strong challengers. Overwatch is one of the fastest rising esports and Blizzard is investing heavily in promoting the game internationally. Dynamic, competitive and involving several players who work together to achieve their goals, Overwatch is one of the esports of the future. It is a constant presence at all the major betting sites in United Kingdom, including those who have a smaller section dedicated to video games.
The Esports betting UK market is more than multiplayer online battle arena and first-person shooters. Rocket League is one of the video games that enjoy decent coverage at all the leading bookmakers, although there are fewer tournaments. You can bet on the outright winners of these competitions, the victors of individual matches, but only a handful of special markets. This is the price to pay when you embrace the future and take a leap of faith with new games. We think that in the end, it’s all worth it!
At the opposite end of the spectrum, we have video games that are slowly but surely fading from the esports picture. Heroes of the Storm used to be one of the most promising MOBA and Blizzard’s best bet to overtake Dota 2 and League of Legends. Once the developer gave up on this game and stopped promoting it, it has almost vanished from the collections of the best esports betting site UK has to offer. World of Tanks had a similar fate, after drawing large crowds and making a brief appearance in esports.
Who bets on esports mostly?
Let’s take a quick glance at the esports betting UK demographics, to get a better sense of who bets mostly on video games. Perhaps not surprisingly, 58% of all those who bet are men, slightly higher than women. Having said this, 42% is not the number to frown upon and it confirms the popularity that esports betting has among the female audience. Another interesting fact about women betting on sports is the most of them prefer to use in game items rather than money. This is convenient, since an increasingly large number of bookmakers have added this form of gambling.
When it comes to age groups, by far the most people betting on esports are those aged between 25 and 34. These are the people who grew up with video games and some of them played competitively, so they know what esports are all about. A fairly equal number of people aged 18 – 24 and 35 – 44 are prone to bet on esports, with the figures revolving around the 20 percentage more. Only 16% of those above 45 are likely to bet on videogame tournaments and matches, with the numbers plummeting after the age of 55.
How many people have bet on esports?
Things get really interesting when you consider bookmakers that allow members to bet on in-game items. As a new esports punter you might consider this form of gambling, as it offsets the risks of losing money. All in all, the numbers are promising, as 8.5% of adults have bet on esports at least once and these figures are expected to grow. A massive 88% of these people have wagered using money, but even more have used in-game items for this purpose.
In case you were wondering, 78% have tried both forms of gambling at least once and a significant percentage have wagered over the last two months. The esports betting UK industry is expected to set new milestones in 2021, especially during the first half of the year. That’s because so many traditional sports are in recess and videogame competitions provide the much-needed thrills.
Make a deposit and storm the UK esports betting sites!
Betting on video games isn’t much different from placing a bet on traditional sports. You need to have a funded account to be able to gamble regardless of the sports and markets preferred, so the first step is to load the account with cash. For this purpose, the best UK esports betting site will provide new and active members with several payment methods that allow them to deposit instantly and cash out quickly. The rule of thumb is that you should use the same banking option to deposit and cash out funds.
Credit, debit and prepaid cards are the obvious choice for most of the modern punters, with Visa and MasterCard providing the best options. Wire transfers, as well as the wallets, can be used to deposit funds without delay and usually without commission, at the best UK esports betting websites. Betting sites that accept prepaid cards are recommended for bettors who don’t like sending private banking information over the internet.
Let’s beat the odds when betting on esports!
Esports UK betting isn’t too different from regular sports betting, so the same rules apply. Research goes a long way and you should be first and foremost concerned about getting a thorough understanding of the games they bet on. Whether you bet on the main markets or try to extract the most from unique League of Legends, Dota 2 and Counter-Strike Global Offensive special bets, research is needed.
Equally important is to find the best betting site for esports, so you can enjoy a decent collection of games and special markets. Since most of the bookmakers, including all the leading brands have an entire page dedicated to esports games, the task is greatly simplified. As a punter, you should focus on brands that have been around for some time and enjoy an excellent reputation. It goes without saying that a UK GC license is to be desired, as it projects an image of trustworthiness.
Seize the opportunity of welcome bonuses at UK esports
The esport betting industry is just as competitive in the United Kingdom as it is beyond borders. This compels bookmakers to provide their players with ever better match deposit bonuses and welcome offers.
Some of them choose to award free bets, while others double the investment made by new players to bring them into the fold. Skybet esports offers such incentives, but they are subject to strict wagering requirements, so you can only cash out their winnings after the rollover demands have been met.
The thing about welcome bonuses is that even though they are not instantly cashable, they provide players with the means to offset the house edge. Each bookmaker has its own policies when it comes to clearing bonuses and the same goes for betting exchanges in UK such as Betfair esports.
In some cases, certain betting markets might not qualify, but these restrictions are few and definitely not a deal-breaker. Don’t forget to carefully read the fine print, to know what’s expected from you and how to make the most of bonuses!
Is it safe to play at esports betting sites in the UK?
The seal of approval from the commission can be found at the bottom of the websites, so it is easy to identify the trustworthy ones. In order to further increase the odds of playing at a respectable sportsbook, you should go over reviews written by professionals, as well as active players.
Your first steps in esports betting:
You can take all the time you need to prepare for the task at hand, which is betting on esports. However, it makes perfect sense to expedite the process and set up an account as soon as possible to reap the benefits. This is how you start your esports experience in five simple steps:
Our esports betting FAQ guide:
In the UK, all the important bookmakers offer esports betting and there are many that focus exclusively on video games betting. The esports betting sections are comprehensive and include everything from first-person shooters to real-time strategy and multiplayer online battle arena games
Esports betting isn’t any different than wagering on traditional sports and players are confronted with the same learning curve. Beginners are recommended to stick to the classic markets, while those who have hands-on experience with the games can dwell on special bets. These allow them to maximize the profits, by taking advantage of the higher than average odds, especially when it comes to live betting.
Anyone who is at least 18 years old can sign up for a real money account at one of the gambling operators licensed by the UK GC. Once they become a member of an online bookmaker, they can bet on traditional sports, as well as video games competitions. There are no restrictions whatsoever for esports betting.
Esports betting UK sites are optimized for mobile devices, as a significant percentage of modern gamblers play on smartphones and tablets. Players can wager straight in the browser or download and install the specialized apps on their handheld gadgets. This is an optional step, but sometimes it is worth making, as bookmakers have exclusive promotions for mobile players.
UK players don’t have to pay any taxes on winnings resulting from online gambling. This includes esports betting and any other forms of Internet gaming, so they end up claiming all their profits. It is only the bookmakers that have to pay fees for organizing Internet gambling.
Mobile Apps: Your gateway to esports betting
- When it comes to esports betting UK players have the option of placing their bets straight in the browser or download a dedicated app. The latter is usually available on the official website of the bookmaker, but can sometimes be acquired from app stores as well.
- They provide an alternative way to access the sports betting offer, as well as the casino and poker sections, when these are available. Most mobile betting apps in UK are aimed at mobile gamers, as they are supposed to be downloaded and installed on smartphones and tablets. It is generally a good idea to download the app, especially when bookies offers mobile exclusive bonuses.
The science behind esports betting odds. How are they calculated?
- The thing about esports betting is that bookmakers have a more difficult task at setting and adjusting the odds, especially for live wagering.
- Pre-game, the usey the same algorithms that are at work for traditional sports and the odds change based on simple principles of supply and demand. When players bet heavily on a team or professional gamer, the odds decrease, while the opposite happens for the underdog.
- The manner in which esports betting odds are calculated for live bets is more complex and to some extent, more difficult. That’s because plenty of things happen quickly and bookies have less time to react to these changes. This is why slight delays do exist even at the top bookmakers, to prevent players from gaining an unfair advantage over the house. Leading sports books are better at adjusting the odds luck, so players don’t miss out on great opportunities because of these delays.
Are esports betting UK winnings subject to taxation?
- UK players can consider themselves lucky to be able to cash out their profits without being subject to taxation.
- The laws state that only the bookmakers have to pay their dues, so lucky winners are able to enjoy every penny they make.
- Financial institutions that provide the payment methods used to make a deposit and cash out winnings might charge a commission. These fees are usually detailed on their website, so there is very little doubt about the use to be paid.
How to find the best UK esports betting sites?
Esports betting in the UK is a big thing and will continue to grow over the next couple of years. This means that all important bookmakers have entire sections dedicated to this type of betting and there are many worth considering.
In order to deal with this surprising paradox of choice, you should pick bookies with a strong track record and steer clear from those that found themselves bogged down in scandals. The quality of the welcome offers, the generosity of ongoing promotions and bonuses should be considered.
Conclusion: The future of esports betting UK looks great!
The UK esports betting industry has met and exceeded most expectations and it continues to set important milestones. 2021 could be the catalyst needed for it to fly to new highs, as classic sports competitions are suspended because of the pandemic.
As more people play video games competitively and even more watch the games on streaming platforms, such as Twitch and YouTube, the popularity of esports betting also grows. Virtually all UK bookmakers offer videogame betting and in the years to come, punters should gain access to even more tournaments and special betting markets, including live ones.
Also, if you also want to learn how to bet online from abroad as a UK player, check here our guide.
Other articles you might like:
- Betting Offers in UK – Best UK Betting Deals & Bonuses 
- No Deposit Betting UK – Discover the Top UK No Deposit Offers  – Complete Guide
- Horse Racing Betting Sites UK – Best UK Horse Betting Sites  – Updated List
- New Horse Racing Betting Sites in the UK – Best New UK Horse Racing Betting Sites  – Updated List
- Free Bets with No Deposit UK – How and Where to Find Them  Complete Guide
- Bitcoin betting UK: The ultimate guide to bitcoin gambling in UK 
- UK Horse Racing Betting – The Ultimate Guide | How to bet on horse racing betting in UK
- Best CSGO betting sites UK and our Top 10 Gambling sites UK for 
- Betting & Gambling Tax in the UK – What do you have to pay, and when?
- Cricket Betting in the UK – The Ultimate Guide | Best Cricket Betting Sites in UK 
- New Betting Companies in UK – The Best New UK Betting Companies in 2021