Sports betting is a pleasant pastime for millions of people and a constantly growing industry. Bookmakers thrive and keep making money by cashing in on the proverbial house edge, but also the sports betting system mistakes committed by players.
While it is perfectly true that the house always wins and beating the odds is difficult in the long run, in many cases, punters are actually responsible for their poor results.
Being able to avoid the most common mistakes in sports betting can greatly improve the odds of winning and help you learn how to beat the bookies, as well as buying points sports betting, without decreasing the fun factor. After all, winning is so much fun!
- 1Becoming a better punter
- 2Top 10 Sports Betting Mistakes You Must Avoid
- 3The importance of choosing the right betting sites
- 4Opening accounts with multiple sports books
- 5About sharp bettors
- 6Understand the indissoluble link between risk and reward
- 7Worst bets offered by bookmakers
- 8Simple sports betting strategies to boost profits
- 910 Subtle sports betting mistakes that hurt performance
- 10FAQ About Sports Betting Mistakes
Top 10 Sports Welcome Bonuses in 2021
Becoming a better punter
Veteran punters explain their success through experience and claim that time is the deciding factor in the recipe for success. While research, practice, and countless experiments with new and tested strategies definitely help, in the end, experience is the name we give to our mistakes. By the time we learn enough to be a successful punter, we have committed most of the sports betting mistakes, so the learning process is pretty expensive. The good news is that progress can be made much faster these days and one can become a successful punter without having to pay the price for committing the biggest sports blunders.
It’s not possible to become a top bettor in a day: everyone just starting out makes sports bet mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them and find out what you did wrong. Sports bettors are often hasty and think they can get rich with just one bet. However, betting on sports is a long process and making common sports betting mistakes is an invariable part of this process.
Below we will give examples of betting mistakes and explain this topic in detail, but if you are new to sports betting, we recommend that you also take a look at our guides:
- How to win at sports betting: A guide with betting advice for beginners.
- Sports betting money management: A guide about bankroll management that tells you how to use your budget more efficiently.
- Sports betting systems: A guide for the average sports bettor that explains chances of winning with each strategy, both short and long term.
You can find more guides and information in the tutorials and strategies section. Now we can start talking about sports betting mistakes: How about a top 10 list?
Top 10 Sports Betting Mistakes You Must Avoid
- Not setting up a bankroll for betting
- Betting with the heart instead of the mind
- Betting beyond your means
- Chasing losses and betting under pressure
- Failing to understand the value in odds
- Not analyzing the outcome of your bets
- Failing to compare odds and lines
- Setting unrealistic expectations
- Betting too much or too often
- Failing to track the odds movement
These 10 common mistakes in sports betting are responsible for most of the avoidable losses that punters suffer daily. By the time people realize the fact that they’ve been committing such sports betting mistakes, losses have already piled up. The good news is that they are totally preventable and anyone can take immediate action to mitigate the negative impact they have on their bankrolls. In the paragraphs below, we’ll explain every single one of them and teach you how to avoid these sports betting common mistakes.
The importance of choosing the right betting sites
The paradox of choice can be a bit frightening for many punters who find themselves surrounded by so many options. This doesn’t mean that you should settle for the first bookmaker you stumble upon, instead of undertaking further research. A rather frequent sports betting mistake is to open a betting account with a single sportsbook and placing all the bets there. This will prevent players from cashing in on the best odds available and in the long run it will decrease their profit margin. A solid betting site brings the peace of mind of gambling in a secure environment, while granting access to the best odds and betting features.
Opening accounts with multiple sports books
The more accounts you have with leading bookmakers, the easier it will be to find and cash in on the best betting odds. You will also be able to take advantage of the most generous sports betting bonuses and take part in all sorts of promotions. These will help you boost your bankroll steadily and in the long run, offset the crushing house edge. The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake and in this competitive industry, you need to keep your options. Whether you are betting on soccer or one of the obscure sports available, it is essential to be able to pick the best odds.
About sharp bettors
Understand the indissoluble link between risk and reward
Any sports betting for beginners guides should start with a thorough understanding of the link between risk and reward. Bigger odds lead to larger potential payouts (depending on the bookmaker withdrawal limits), but they also reflect bigger risks, so the stakes should be adjusted accordingly. There is nothing wrong with betting the underdog, as long as you are certain that your betting strategy is based on solid research, rather than greed.
That’s why it is important to focus on the sport that you know the best and ideally, on the teams and leagues that you are more familiar with. Football might be the easiest sport to bet on, but if you’re more familiar with an obscure sport, there is nothing wrong with focusing on it instead. At the end of the day what matters is making a profit, rather than betting on the matches everyone is betting on.
Worst bets offered by bookmakers
Simple sports betting strategies to boost profits
Avoiding the most common mistakes in sports betting will help you mitigate unnecessary losses. The next step is to maximize the profits and this is where some simple sports betting strategies come in handy. These don’t require a lot of experience and can be deployed immediately, so both casual and veteran players can take advantage of them. Most of them can be used in conjunction, so a little bit of research and the desire to improve punters can make the first steps towards becoming sharp bettors.
10 Subtle sports betting mistakes that hurt performance
- Overreacting to changes and market movers: Do not react suddenly to odds changes; keep calm and watch the market.
- The gambler’s fallacy: There’s no such thing as a winning streak: Just because you’ve won several times in a row doesn’t mean you’ll keep winning.
- Trusting handicappers blindly: Handicap betting is complex and can mislead even experienced punters. Find out more in our how to win big on football bets guide.
- Failing to understand sharp action: Sharp bettors’ decisions may cause bookmakers to change their lines.
- Betting without undertaking enough research: Relying on your luck is the most common mistake bettors make: Don’t forget to do your research.
- Ignoring injury reports before wagering: A pre-match injury of a star player can change all favorite/underdog expectations.
- Betting on unfamiliar sports and markets: Betting on a sport you don’t know about is one of the most common betting mistakes.
- Failing to undertake proper point spreads shopping: Betting on point changes requires thorough research beforehand. Check out our how to bet on football guide for more information.
- Finding excuses and blaming luck: You are the only one responsible for betting mistakes (or betting scams): don’t blame your luck.
- Not using the cash-out feature often enough: If used correctly, the cash-out feature allows you to profit regardless of the result. Not using it is among the most common football betting mistakes.
FAQ About Sports Betting Mistakes
No. You made a mistake, but it is never too late to correct it. Start using a money management plan for online betting as soon as possible.
Cash out your funds (withdraw all your real money) and immediately move to a safe & secure website. Check our list of safe betting sites (and new online casinos) to make a fast start.
Not right away but you should start using them as soon as you understand how arbitrage betting works.
Avoid the Most Common Betting Mistakes Starting Today!
Sports betting is a fun, but rather a difficult enterprise, and the fact that the house always wins is a sad reality for most punters. Beating the odds is difficult but not impossible, as long as you know how to avoid the most common sports betting mistakes.
These are responsible for most of the losses suffered by punters and in most cases, they render any profits made by using correct sports betting strategies virtually irrelevant. Start making small, but important changes to your betting patterns today, and you will be amazed by how your performance will improve. We are here to help you to avoid betting mistakes: Good luck out there!
Other articles you might like: